The fireplace is the focal point of many living rooms, and it deserves a great decoration. One of the most popular choices for decorating above a fireplace is artwork. Some people hang mirrors over their fireplaces as well because they think it reflects light and adds to the ambiance in their room. But what should you actually put up there? This blog post will give you all the information that you need so that your decision becomes much easier!
Hanging something above a fireplace is an age-old question. The wrong choice can make you regret your decision for years to come! That’s why we’re going to do the hard work for you and give you some great options that will look perfect above your fireplace.
Types of wall décor for the home to hang above Fireplace
Wall décor that is attached to a wall without being hung on the wall. For example, stickers and decals can be removed from their background paper when they are applied directly onto drywall or painted surfaces. Examples of this type include: family portraits, limited edition art prints (i.e., posters), photographs printed in poster form, and children’s artwork.
- This type of wall décor can be fun and personal, but it is important to select a design that will not peel or fade over time. If you are going to choose this option, make sure that the adhesive is high quality and designed for use on walls.
- Wall décor that is hung on the wall. This type of décor is typically heavier and more expensive than attached décor. Examples include: paintings, mirrors, metal art, and wood carvings.
- When selecting this type of wall art, it is important to consider the size of the fireplace opening and how much space you want to leave around the fireplace. You also need to take into account the style of your home and select a piece that will be complementary.
How to choose the right size and shape for your Space?
One of the first things you need to do is measure the width and height of your space. This will help you determine what size and shape fireplace mantel to choose. If you have a particularly large or small space, there are many different sizes and shapes to choose from.
- If you’re unsure about what will look best in your space, take a picture and bring it to your local fireplace store. They will be able to help you find the perfect mantel for your home.
- Once you’ve chosen the size and shape of your mantel, you need to choose a style that will complement your décor. If you have a traditional home, a traditional fireplace mantel will look great. If you have a more contemporary home, choose something with clean lines and modern features.
- If your space is open to other rooms in the house or if it has large windows that let lots of light into the room, then opt for an intricate design like a Victorian-style mantle with carved cherub or floral moldings.
- If you’re going for a lighter and airier look, select an open design like one with wrought iron work that lets in more light than solid wood mantels do. You can also choose something made from glass to bring the outdoors inside your home if there are large windows around it.
Material considerations – Metal, Wood, Stone, etc
One of the first considerations you’ll need to make when choosing what to hang above your fireplace is the type of material. The most popular materials are metal, wood and stone, so we’ll take a look at each one in turn.
Metal fireplaces come in all shapes and sizes, from traditional cast-iron designs to sleek, modern units. If you have a metal fireplace, then you can pretty much hang anything you like above it. However, if your fireplace is the focal point of the room, then it’s best to keep the hanging decoration simple and understated.
- A wrought-iron mirror or a few well-chosen pieces of art are ideal for this situation.
- Wooden fireplaces are slightly more difficult to decorate, as the wooden mantel is often very heavily decorated with carvings and patterns. However, a simple mirror will add elegance to any fireplace – think of it like an old-fashioned dressing table! If your fireplace is smaller than average then you can hang several mirrors above it, or choose a large, elaborate mirror to take up the whole wall.
- Stone fireplaces tend to be very modern and minimalist in style, so they are not well-suited to hanging decorations – but you can still hang something if you wish! If your fireplace is made of stone then it’s best just to keep things simple with an attractive piece of wall art.
- Stone fireplaces are extremely modern and minimalist, so do not attempt to hang anything above them! It is possible, but you’ll need a very large mirror or piece of artwork that will fit in with the design style – this should be your only option unless you want an eyesore hanging from your ceiling.
- Stone fireplaces are very modern, so do not attempt to hang anything above them! The best you can do is a mirror that fits in with the design style – this should be your only option unless you want an eyesore hanging from your ceiling.
Décor ideas – Photos Paintings Mirrors
Photos: Paintings, mirrors. Fireplace accessories – logs, letters of the alphabet for personalization and so on…
Content length (approximate): Few hundred words. No numbers or bullet points! Write paragraph-style text with complete sentences that are easy to read from start to finish without interruption. This will make it easier for us to format your blog post into a visually appealing layout.
When it comes to decorating, one of the most important decisions you will make is what to hang above your fireplace. There are so many options available that it can be difficult to choose just one! In this article, we will take a look at some of the best ideas for fireplace décor and help you decide which is the right option for you.
Photos are always a popular choice for fireplace décor. They can add personality and warmth to the space, and there are endless possibilities when it comes to choosing photos. You can go with family photos, nature scenes, or any other type of image that speaks to you. There are even options for large-scale wall art that can be very dramatic and give lots of visual interest to your room.
While most people think about pictures when they first start thinking about what to hang above their fireplace, there is another option you may want to consider: mirrors! Mirrors make a great choice because they add light to the room and reflect any other items you have hanging on your wall.
The next time you are looking for ideas about what to hang above fireplace, make sure to keep these options in mind! There is no wrong answer when it comes to selecting a piece of décor that will give personality and interest to your space. The only thing worse than an empty fireplace is a fireplace with no personality! So get creative and have some fun with your décor. You may be surprised at how much difference a few pieces can make.
We hope you enjoyed this article on what to hang above the fireplace! For more ideas and inspiration, please visit our website or blog today. Thanks for reading!
Tips on how to clean your Mantelpiece
Now that you have your mantelpiece all set up and looking great, it’s important to keep it clean. Here are a few tips on how to do just that:
- Dust regularly with a soft cloth.
- Use a gentle cleaner like warm water and soap if there is any dirt or grime build-up.
- Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive materials to clean your mantelpiece as they can damage the surface.
- Wipe up any spills immediately to prevent them from staining the wood or marble.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to keep your mantelpiece looking great for years to come.
One of the primary reasons to hang a piece of art over your fireplace is to protect the environment. A painting or other work of art will help to prevent soot and ash from building up on the walls and ceiling. Additionally, it will create an attractive focal point in the room that can be enjoyed by all.
I have been thinking a lot lately about how my house needs to be more environmentally friendly, and I would love to do something like this.
The most common types of art that are hung above fireplaces include paintings, photographs, drawings, or sculptures. However you can really hang anything as long as your fireplace is tall enough for it. Paintings and photographs typically work best.
I’m really into the idea of using a collaborative piece, like this one. It would be fun for family members or friends to each contribute something. Of course, it depends on your aesthetic tastes whether you want that or not! I love the idea though!
Safety is the primary concern while deciding on hanging above a fireplace.
You need to do certain things before you hang anything over the fire place mantel or drip edge of your hearth, such as:
- Check out all spots for wires and other installation parts that may be there in an attempt to hide; if any are found, remove them.
- Use a stud finder to locate any structural elements, such as ceiling joists or beams that may be in your way and could potentially cause injury; mark them with masking tape so you know not to screw into them when hanging pictures.
- Your fireplace mantel is made up of wood which can easily catch fire if the wrong objects are hung over it.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends the following:
- Only hang pictures, mirrors or other decorations that are made of non-flammable materials and/or have a fire-resistant backing on them.
- Keep any combustible items, such as candles, potpourris and dried flowers away from the fireplace.
- Never leave a lit candle unattended around your fireplace, even if you have no intention of using it for decoration; never place anything on top of candles or other objects that can catch fire (such as dried flower arrangements).
- The NFPA offers some general rules to follow: hang pictures and decorations at least 18 inches above the fireplace mantel and maintain at least 12 inches of clearance between them.
- The suggested distance is more than that provided in most hang picture instructions, but it’s essential to keep your home safe from fire hazards when hanging pictures over a fireplace. Don’t forget about safety; if you have any doubts as to whether or not something can catch fire, err on the side of caution and don’t hang it over your fireplace.
- The most important thing to remember is that anything you hang in front or above a fireplace must be at least 12 inches away from any part of the mantel top; this includes the sides, as well as all joints between sections (if there are multiple sections). This is to provide enough space for the fireproofing of your mantel; if you don’t leave enough room, it will crack and shatter from heat.
What is the best way to hang a mirror over a fireplace?
The easiest way to hang a mirror over a fireplace is by using two hooks that are placed on either side of the mirror. The hooks should be attached to the wall first, and then the mirror can be hung from them. Make sure that the screws or nails used to hold the hooks can support both your mirror and its weight.
How do you hang pictures over a brick fireplace?
Hanging pictures over a brick fireplace is not rocket science, but it does take some common sense to make sure that no damage will be done. First of all, if there are still bricks bordering around the edge of the fireplace, make sure that you are careful not to drill through them. Drill holes into the wood of your mantle and then screw hooks or wire nails over the bricks.
What type of mirror works best above a gas fireplace?
Mirrors work well with both natural gas fireplaces and propane fueled ones without any issues whatsoever. Make sure that the mirror you select is heat resistant and has a backing that can take the heat from the flames without melting or bubbling.
Can I hang a television above my fireplace?
Television mounting over fireplaces has become increasingly popular in recent years, but it is not always an easy task. The first thing you need to do is measure the size of your television and make sure that it will fit comfortably on top of your mantle. You also need to be aware of the weight of your television and whether or not it is capable of being mounted safely above a fireplace. If you are unsure, consult with a professional TV mounting service.
Looking for the perfect piece to hang over your fireplace? Check out our guide for some inspiration! From traditional options like paintings and mirrors, to more unique pieces like clocks and plants, we’ve got you covered. No matter what your style is, we can help you find the perfect addition to your home.