– Open a window.
– Build fire only on the hearth and make it small to keep smoke from spreading through house.
– Only burn seasoned wood. Green or unseasoned wood will create excess smoke and soot, which may cause problems for you to keep out of your house.
– Make a custom airtight cover for the fireplace.
– Use glass doors on your fireplace to help stop smoke from spreading through house.
– Remove the flue damper and use an adjustable airtight cover.
– Place a heavy duty aluminum foil on top of fireplace to stop smoke from spreading through house.
– Use glass doors or custom covers that can help prevent fireplaces from pulling in air, which may activate into flame without adequate oxygen supply for burning wood completely.